Yep, this is a thing!
|Pino Fire, New Mexico. Source SW Fire Consortium|
|Slide Fire, Arizona. Source: SW Fire Consortium|
Criteria for choosing Incident of the Year includes:
- Ecological benefit of fire
- Long-term fire effects
- Risk level
- Level of collaboration
- Working towards “difficult acres”
- Public information/communication plan
- Mechanisms to leverage science
- Bringing outside resources into local ecological perspective
- Clear use of fire regime knowledge.
What a great way to recognize Cohesive Strategy behaviors! Congratulations!!