The Wildfire Mitigation Awards Committee has announced the 2016 Wildfire Mitigation Award winners. Established in 2014, the awards are the highest commendation for the innovation and leadership displayed by individuals and organizations committed to wildfire preparedness.
The Wildfire Mitigation Awards are jointly sponsored by the National Association of State Foresters (NASF), the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC), the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and the USDA Forest Service (USFS). The three categories for the awards are Fire Adapted Communities Fire Service Leadership, Wildfire Mitigation Innovation and the Community Wildfire Preparedness Pioneer.
Recognizing the comprehensive challenge posed by wildfires, these awards commend the outstanding dedication to wildfire preparedness and safety across a broad spectrum of activities and among a variety of individuals and organizations. By honoring these achievements, the award sponsors also seek to increase public recognition and emphasize the value of wildfire mitigation efforts.
The winners of the 2016 Wildfire Mitigation Awards are:
Community Wildfire Preparedness Pioneer Awardees:
- Peggy Beach, volunteer for Firewise of Southwest Colorado (Colorado)
- Les Kole, Firewise ambassador (Colorado)
- Rich Martinson & the Conover/Land O’Lakes Community Wildfire Protection Plan (CWPP) Committee (Wisconsin)
Fire Adapted Communities Fire Service Leadership Awardees:
- Fire Chief Mark Shadowens, Northstar Fire Department/Northstar Community Services District (California)
- City of Austin Fire Department Wildfire Division (Texas)
- Tom Austin, Log Hill Mesa Fire Protection District (Colorado)
- Florida Forest Service Prescribed Fire Program (Florida)
Wildfire Mitigation Innovation Awardees:
- Lake Travis Fire Rescue (Texas)
- Jonathan Bruno, Coalition for the Upper South Platte (Colorado)
- Elk Springs and Elk Stream Ranch Neighborhood Ambassadors (Colorado)
- Deer Springs Fire Safe Council (California)
- Summit County Government (Colorado)
Read the full press release here.